Monday, November 20, 2023

Small world

During our missions conference a few years ago, I sat next to a second-generation missionary lady who learned I was from Tennessee. She mentioned having gone to Bryan College. I know many Bryan alum, and it turns out she was a classmate of several!  She mentioned having visited a camp in Tennessee, and imagine our mutual surprise to discover it was the one my great-uncle directed!  He had even visited her family on the field in Brazil!

Another year at missions conference, it turns out that one of the main speakers (a missionary in Asia) is friends and possibly college classmates with a cousin & her husband (& even resembles him!). 

Then another year, the main speaker had grown up with my childhood pastor's wife.  

This year, one of the speakers (I found out after the fact) was a college classmate of a good friend, and given some of her life journey, I am confident she knows well a missionary family I have known since junior high. 

The wife of another speaker this year grew up in the same town I did (though I grew up in the country).  A good family friend played the piano at her wedding!  

The next day I was on a small group Zoom prayer meeting for Japan with a couple in Colorado, a woman in Texas, and a man in Florida.  We introduced ourselves and I said, "I live in Illinois."  Someone asked where, and I usually give a vague answer, such as between this city & that city, but for some reason I just said the name of our village (population 1300), and the man in Florida exclaimed, "Oh, I have good friends who live there." ?!?!  

What a small world we live in!  What is your most amazing small world story?

No comments: