Tuesday, December 2, 2025

Channeling Betty

Channeling Betty ... Betty Crocker, that is :) 


Written on the Monday before Thanksgiving.

This morning I dumped the ingredients for Cowboy Soup into the crockpot before waking the children. 

After they had left for school, I loaded the dishwasher and pushed "Start," and took my carefully written grocery list to Aldi. 

I had enlisted the help of ChatGPT (!) to make a menu plan for the week, and then placed a Walmart order for everything I needed from there.  I have not mastered the art of online ordering from Aldi, so went in.  I then grew in patience as the line reached a quarter of the way to the back of the store!

My sister-in-law had told me when we first married (and I was new to the USA) to make sure not to go grocery shopping the week of Thanksgiving. She's not wrong!

Aldi groceries in the van, I went across the street to Walmart, and practiced more patience, as I waited 30 minutes for my order to be brought out. Then I went down the road to Kroger, quickly picked up 3 cartons of peppermint ice cream ;) and utilized self-checkout & my digital coupons to get them for $2 each, and came home. 

Thankfully Jim brought the groceries in. I put them away, and made a gluten free hash brown casserole (so I could have some when the family gathered on Friday).

And then I partook of a bowl of DELICIOUS and hearty cowboy soup! 

This is not my norm, but it is Thanksgiving week.  I'm already looking forward to supper on Tuesday night ...  supporting a local community's fundraiser for Christmas gifts! 

No comments: