Sunday, December 21, 2025

Window of my childhood


A friend posted this photo a few years ago, and memories flooded back.  This window represents so much more than some glass with a wood frame.  Those walls, that glass, and the stain of the wood take me back to the countless formative hours of my youth that I spent in this sanctuary.  

The preaching of God’s Word that I heard in this room opened my eyes to God’s holiness, my sinfulness, and the reconciliation found in Christ.  The heartily sung hymns I learned there sustain me yet today.  

And how many summer Sunday evenings was I distracted by cows mooing out the open windows, while a visiting missionary gave a report? Or how many sweltering summer evenings were these windows open while we children sat on the edge of our seats waiting to find out which team was ahead that day in the Vacation Bible School contest, not realizing that we were gaining so much more than points and a small prize?!  We were hiding God's Word in our heart and learning the power of God's Word. (I cannot read Philemon without remembering a certain week of VBS lessons.) 

Seeing the Christmas decorations in this photo reminds me of the many happy (albeit dark and cold) afternoons in December when we spent hours practicing the Christmas play.  And I could go on and on!  Thanks for posting this, MA!

No comments: