It is no secret that my favorite genre of books is missionary biographies. Recently a friend asked if I had any recommendations of biographies of missionary women. Yes, yes, I do. :)
My top 6 (in no particular order) are listed at the top:
- Dr. Ida (NIH bio here) (children's biography here) The biography I read is Dr Ida The Story Of Dr Ida Scudder Of Vellore, by Dorothy Clarke Wilson. We have also listened to the 2-part dramatized biography on Your Story Hour.
- Point Me to the Skies: The Amazing Story of Joan Wales, by Ronald Clements
- Three Women: Mildred Cable, Francesca French, Evangeline French: The Authorised Biography, by William James Platt, Published by Hodder & Stoughton, 1964 (children's biography here)
- By Searching (& other books by Isobel Kuhn)
- And the Word Came With Power: How God Met & Changed a People Forever, by Joanne Shetler
- A Chance to Die, Amy Carmichael
- Windows for the Crown Prince by Elizabeth Gray Vining
Where do you find missionary biographies? 10 of Those is a great resource. The YWAM Christian Heroes series is great for children (or for a quick read). And usually when reading a biography, they will mention contemporaries, so I often google that person's name. Or the biographer might have written several biographies, so I will google the author.
Compilations like 12 Faithful Women allow you to read about several women's lives in a shorter time.
No comments:
Post a Comment