Sunday, March 1, 2009

Missing Sermon Tapes

"What things will you miss that you think will probably disappear in your lifetime?" Abraham Piper at 22 Words asked that question earlier this week, and reading the answers is quite interesting.

I already miss sermon tapes and remember fondly the days when we treasured the cassettes and passed them around.

A college friend used to send me one sermon series at a time. I would listen to the series over and over, before returning it and then receiving the next set.

Was I headed to the airport? Don't forget to grab a sermon tape from the team library. If I waited until I was on the expressway to turn it on, the sermon was usually winding down as I reached the airport. It was the perfect length!

The fun of borrowing a team member's car back in the days of the sermon tape was that you got to listen to the sermon tape they had, and get to know a new preacher.

In the days when I had dial-up internet (here where we still pay per minute for every local call), I subscribed and faithfully read Piper's sermons each week. It was so exciting to see that email in my inbox!

Somewhat imperceptibly a change occurred, and the recorded sermons I ordered started coming on CDs. Then the day came when we started listening online. And now, of course, we do not even have to be near the computer while listening; we can subscribe to podcasts which are portable.

Last year a teenager on our team made a quiz for my birthday party, and the guests had to answer questions such as, "Who is Judith's favorite preacher?" No one guessed who I'm listening to the most these days, for I had recently been introduced to two preachers who became new favorites.

Having heard Sinclair Ferguson live in the summer of 2007, I immediately bought the recordings of his series of messages and began looking for more of his sermons online.

A couple months later I heard D. A. Carson preach, just before driving him to the airport (without having a clue who he was, I am embarrassed to say now!).

So if you were to visit my apartment this morning as I prepare to meet the day, you would hear the voice of either Sinclair Ferguson or D.A. Carson expounding God's Word through the speakers of my computer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carson and Ferguson are two of my husband's and my favorites, too. I've joked that I would listen to Sinclair Ferguson recite the multiplication tables, just because his voice is so magnificent! Seriously, though, they are both amazingly godly men and preachers. Glad to meet (or whatever the blogging equivalent is) another fan!