Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Time zone challenged

"Let's talk at 9 PM Thursday my time," a lady on the East Coast e-mailed. "If I have my time zones correct, you are 13 hours ahead of Eastern Time," she added.

And so I wrote on my Friday calendar, "8 AM - phone call."

And I arranged my Friday schedule so that I would be ready at 8 AM.

At 7.30 AM I started thinking. "I spoke with my parents for five minutes at 7 AM my time, and they were leaving for a 6.30 PM appointment. So it was 6 AM their time."

And then the light bulb turned on.

9 PM Eastern is 10 AM Japan time.

(Note: The return of Daylight Savings Time to the USA makes this anecdote more timely, as this happened during Daylight Savings Time last fall; outside of Daylight Savings Time, I am 14 hours ahead of Eastern Time. I can understand why currencies fluctuate, but it's hard to keep up with fluctuations in time between two fixed points on the globe.)

No comments: