Saturday, March 21, 2009

My friend, The Daily Yomiuri

How do you keep up with the news?

I rely on The Daily Yomiuri, a newspaper that I miss when I am back in the USA (and hear that my teammates miss it too).

I have never gotten into the habit of sitting in front of the TV to watch the nightly news, although NHK provides English translation of both the 7 PM and 9 PM news.

Neither have I gotten into the habit of reading news on the internet.

I am not in my car long enough to hear the news, except sometimes on Thursdays.

And in my apartment I cannot receive radio stations without static.

So, The Daily Yomiuri it is... and happily so.

Until...

...this morning when I pulled my paper out of the mail slot in my front door, and instead of the A-B-C's, I saw a page filled with some of the 1,945 Chinese characters in daily use staring up at me.

Ut-oh! A quick call to the newspaper delivery office, a repeated apology on their part, and less than five minutes later, my doorbell rang, and a man bowed several times while apologizing.

(You can be sure I handed him the mistakenly delivered Japanese paper. I wasn't going to take responsibility for recycling anything I don't have to.) :-)

No comments: