Saturday, June 19, 2010

Marking time by seven Saturdays, #5

Today I am attending a family reunion of (or, in my case, a family introduction to) my new family.

Last Saturday I spent the afternoon with two young men ~ one, the son of a cousin on my dad's side and the other, the son of a cousin on my mom's side.

Two Saturdays ago, I was groaning inwardly and waiting eagerly as the brokenness of this fallen world was particularly evident in our church family.

Three Saturdays ago, I finally began to emerge from the fog of physical and emotional exhaustion and tackled all the projects that were waiting. In the evening, I enjoyed listening to some old-time mountain music with my cousin's son who is here for the summer.

Four Saturdays ago, my home church showered me with much love and many gifts.

Five Saturdays ago, I was totally disoriented with jet lag.

Six Saturdays ago, I was in Japan, enjoying the hot springs, packing my apartment up into boxes, and eating temakizushi with eight ladies on my team.

Six Saturdays from now ... I will be married and beginning a new life. (Listing that in the same list as the items above seems a bit matter-of-fact.)


So teach me to number my days
that I may get a heart of wisdom.
Satisfy me in the morning with your steadfast love,
that I may rejoice and be glad all my days.
Let the favor of the Lord my God be upon me,
and establish the work of my hands upon me;
yes, establish the work of my hands!

(adapted from Psalm 90.12-17)


Marking time by seven Saturdays

Marking time by seven Saturdays, #2
Marking time by seven Saturdays, #3
Marking time by seven Saturdays, #4

No comments: