A new missionary wrote, "What books should I read? And what else should I do to prepare?"
I answered his second question first.
How would you advise him to prepare?
I answered his second question first.
Pray. Grow in your love for God and knowledge of Him. Keep him #1 in your life. If you're married, foster your marriage relationship. Divorce can happen on the mission field, too. (Becoming a missionary does not exempt you from the temptations we all face in our home countries; in fact, it could be argued that Satan will try to tempt you more.) Keep growing in what it means to be a self-feeder (all the cultural reinforcements of Christianity are NOT present in Japan). Beg God to transform your heart and life by the Gospel and then participate in His work of doing so (without that ongoing transformation, you have no message for the Japanese people).
How would you advise him to prepare?
1 comment:
If you are not married (or even if you are), invest in your good friends. The ones you expect will be long-term friends. You'll need their love, prayers and support.
Spend good time with your home church too. They need to know you well and you need to know them and trust that they'll support you when you're absent from them.
Post a Comment