Friday, February 11, 2011

You could tell they were newlyweds

Week two of our honeymoon began in a lovely mansion converted into a Bed & Breakfast.  After a week of being on our own, sharing breakfast with strangers was a little uncomfortable.  We seated ourselves across from each other, at the end of the table, away from the other guests.

A few minutes later, a young couple entered the dining room and hesitated.  Seemingly reluctantly they sat down in the remaining seats, the husband next to Jim, and the wife on the other side of her husband.  My curiosity was piqued!

I noticed that they both bowed their heads to pray before their meal, and so I began looking for an opportunity to engage them in conversation.

I forget now how it happened, but we soon were in a lovely conversation with this young couple, a couple full of youth! and hope! and a passion for God! and exploring how He wants to use them in His world!

He grew up in a Plymouth Brethren assembly in the north. She grew up steeped in southern culture. They met while volunteering with the youth in their church in college.  Missions trips had changed both of their lives.

Two months out of college, they had married two days previously!  And were on their honeymoon - cum - moving trip, as they headed off to grad school.  Utmost on their mind was finding a church and finding their place of service.

They shared their vision of serving God with all their life. 

And all four of us delighted at the mutual encouragement of having rich fellowship (if only for 20 or 30 minutes) with peers (if not in age, for sure in stage of life).  The memory stands out in our minds because it was the only real conversation we had with anyone (besides each other; oh, and waiters) during our honeymoon.

I hope I meet them in heaven and hear the rest of their story.  And I hope they are finding marriage as delightful as we are.

No comments: