I don't talk a lot about money. Maybe because I have a healthy view of it. Maybe because I don't.
Well, I say I don't talk a lot about money, but I do talk about great deals I find, and I also talk about exorbitant expenses (like the cost of healthcare in the US of A!).
I blogged here about Time, Money, Children, and My Heart and here about A Missionary's Money, and My Heart. And here about How much does public school cost?
As we're all aware, the cost of goods & services is rising all the time.
Case in point, this email I received from Amazon about my subscribe & save:
Price increase |
Yorkshire Tea, Black Tea, 100 Count |
Last price: $4.46New price: $5.53Saving: 5% As Jim says, it's still exponentially less expensive than buying a cup of tea at Starbucks! True! So, for now, I continue to buy it. (But I am aware that there may come a time when we can't afford caffeine, chocolate, and other niceties.) We're approaching the holidays. Even when one sets a limit to their gift-giving, it's a fight with the advertisements that flood one's inbox. And then there are all the special things. It's easy to believe that we have to make this season memorable ... and the way to do so is by spending money. I saw something on Instagram about "Before you buy that new decoration..." Remember that nostalgia is built on repetition ... the crooked star, the mismatched ornaments, the chipped plate for Santa. Everything you want your family to remember you already have. Amen! And, just because it's the holidays doesn't mean that other expenses stop. ;) LM & BK's schools just had fundraisers. I am now the proud owner of a pineapple corer (long on my wishlist, so I supported the school) and will soon have frozen cookie dough in our freezer. LM's school PTO just had a t-shirt fundraiser. I let her purchase a school t-shirt. LM & BK are on swim team. Swim meets don't have admission fees. Instead they charge the swimmers. ;) A certain amount to swim at a meet plus a certain fee for each event they swim in plus a facility fee. I just got the bill for the past two meets. Having two swimmers this year means that dollar amount has doubled. (Not complaining; just a fact of life. I will always support swim!) BK is signed up for a campout with Trail Life. The cost is MINIMAL ($10 I think, though I could have missed a notification in the app) ... plus the cost of any supplies for camping that we didn't have on hand already. These are normal expenses of raising children. (Well, the fundraisers we could have said 'no' to.) They are also good reminders that we have normal (& unexpected) expenses like this, so we don't need to frivolously spend at the holidays. :) Any tips? I have appreciated the perspective of Debt Free Mom (on social media) lately. |
No comments:
Post a Comment