We arrived at the Help TOHOKU command center (aka Honda Chapel) around 10 AM and came home around 8 PM or later. We weren't working all day, but we were there, on call, helping as able, hopefully just being an encouragement by our presence, and catching a moment here or there to speak with longtime friends, etc.
There really were a lot of reunions! Upon arriving, I ran into Jay Kyle. As always it was good to see Mr. T, a Japanese Wycliffe missionary. (His wife flies in from somewhere in Asia today, and they plan to stay there in the Education Building indefinitely while he helps coordinate relief.) I also ran into Seima Aoyagi, whom I had not seen since the MTW Global Missions Conference in Atlanta 5 or 6 years ago. He was on his way back to Tohoku for 3-4 days, his third trip in a week, I think. We were in the same young adult group in '94-'97. Later, Rev. & Mrs. Otake arrived, bringing goods donated from their church, and we were delighted to see each other. Back in 1989, I taught English at their home/church once a week. Oh, and a former 2-year missionary whom I oriented some time ago, showed up from the airport, on his spring break from seminary in the USA.
The day was not just social; lots of work was going on! Neighbor ladies (who had never been to our church) came and spent several hours making rice balls and other food for the trucks to take up tonight. Men were on cell phones almost all day, talking with the trucks that are up there, getting information about what the current situation and needs are on the ground, and making decisions about tonight's truck, this week's plan, the strategy for the next phase, etc. Single ladies from the church were meeting and greeting neighbors and others who came to drop off supplies, arranging it by categories all over the first floor of the Education Building.
And I spent most of the day sequestered in a room in front of MTW's Country Director's computer, going through hundreds of emails he has received since the quake and has not opened. I can't drive a truck or go to Tohoku, but I can read email. :)
Actually our sermon yesterday was the next one in the current sermon series on the ten commandments. "Thou shalt not kill," and the counterpart, "Love thy neighbor." One way we love our neighbor is by donating goods, or driving a truck to the suffering people, or .... reading email. The pastor gave many examples. Some ways that members of our church have loved their neighbors in the past week include standing in line for hours to get a few gallons of gasoline to be taken north, making 1000 rice balls a day to be taken north, etc. But he encouraged us all by reminding us that we all can't do the most visible work, yet we all have a role. The nursing mother, in this disaster relief, most definitely should NOT go up to Tohoku, but she has a role nonetheless. Her role is to stay home, care for her family, and PRAY.
He also warned us that it's so easy in times of crisis and chaos and stress, to be short-tempered, to be short with one another (especially those closest to us), and to NOT be loving. We need Jesus!!
No comments:
Post a Comment