Sunday, October 17, 2021

Blessed Assurance

Recently I came across a sibling music group in Japan ... Ruah Worship (found on FB, YouTube, etc.). As I listened to their recording of "Blessed Assurance" (below), my heart soared in worship. 

I have been surprised over the past 6 months or so as I have periodically sought out Japanese praise music and hymns, how much they move my heart to enter into worship. 

Perhaps because I grew so much while living in Japan (& while singing those words on Sundays in corporate worship), they reach me in a way that English doesn't always? 

Perhaps because I have not been using my Japanese (receptive or expressive) language skills, that part of my heart has felt less alive, and so I feel more whole when I am using both English and Japanese? 

At any rate, even if you don't know Japanese, you might enjoy listening to their recording.  :) 

"Blessed Assurance" is a special hymn in Jim's family.  The extended family took a heritage trip for his parents' 60th (?) anniversary, and sang "Blessed Assurance" by his grandparents' & great-grandparents' graves and also at the altar of the church where his parents were married.  A few years later, at his mom's graveside service, the pastor said, "I don't know if the family is a singing family, but I thought we could sing, 'Blessed Assurance.'"

Do you have a special hymn in your family?

No comments: