Saturday, September 9, 2023

A year ago

My FB memories show this photo.  A year ago today I commemorated the death of Queen Elizabeth by drinking English breakfast tea out of my England mug (found for 25 cents at a rural Illinois thrift store!), knowing that my own father was in his last hours on this earth. 

This morning I ate breakfast on the bench on our front porch, and just so happened to drink my tea out of my England mug.


A year ago today (& the days leading up to it) I spent a lot of time sitting on this bench on our porch.  Both children had Covid and I was masking indoors and praying I would not get it (Praise God for protecting me despite low immunity!).  

I was on the phone a lot with my sisters in Tennessee.  Part of my reason for sitting outside was to protect our children from the heaviness of our conversations, as my dad was in his final days.  Part of my reason for sitting outside was to have a mask break and also so my sisters could hear me better (without a mask).  

I sat on this bench and told my unresponsive dad goodbye (while someone held the phone to his ear) and that I would see him in heaven. 

And I sat on the same bench this morning, 365 days later, remembering.  Our bodies remember.  (book by similar title here) I spent most of yesterday in bed.  And I slept more than 8 hours last night.  And although it is a GORGEOUS fall day, I am glad none of our friends could take me up on my invitation to go hiking today.  My body just wants to crash.  

Tying it all together on a humorous note ... a lady came through the visitation line at the funeral home last year and said she had told her son, "Did you hear that Charles [my dad's name] died?" And he replied, "No, mom! It was Queen Elizabeth!" :) 

to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

No comments: