I have a blog post in my head about deaths of people near and far this summer that one day I hope to write articulately, but for now I will share a childhood memory that has come full circle.
One evening in the funeral home of my hometown (where our family could be found at least once a week) I was standing near my mother, when my dad's second (or third?) cousin Sara said to her, "My husband says we know more dead people than living people now."
While that is not true for me (yet!), it certainly feels that way some days. And in a way, that is good, for it reinforces the truth that this life is temporary. All of it. And it spurs me on to live for eternity. But it's also hard & sad.
There's a funny story from Japan days and one of "my kids" overhearing me tell his parents that I want to be a nice old lady. I want to be a content & contributing old lady. I think of a burial we attended last week. Even with dementia, this dear saint (who was content all her life) was contributing. She always sang, "Jesus Loves Me" with visitors the past several years, and in her dying weeks, sang these two phrases from the hymn, "Beautiful words. Wonderful words." And "Hallelujah." Every word she said in her final weeks was inspirational. I want to be like her ... content & contributing.
My other thought is that I want to intentionally nurture intergenerational relationships. I don't want to get to the end of my life, and have no friends if all my peers & older friends are already in heaven. I want to always have younger friends, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment