Repost:
I remember jelly beans, dying eggs, and (real) egg hunts in the front yard.
I remember sunrise service (indoors) and mouthwatering breakfasts in the church basement.I remember the same Easter baskets that appeared each year, along with visits from "Aunt" M.
I remember my gap year in Japan - the all-day celebration at church, including my first time eating raw fish.
I remember college - one year visiting friends in Maryland, one year being included in my roommate's invitation to a family from her church.
I remember Fiji - my first hot cross buns and the ladies fanning the flies away from the food on outdoor tables.
I remember early morning prayer every day of Holy Week.
I remember singing, "When I Survey" a capella in Japanese with just a few others on those early mornings.
I remember sitting in a park after early morning prayer, before catching the train, and a cherry blossom fluttered down and landed in my pocket Bible (where it stayed for many years).
I remember teaching English class in the "cry room" while morning Good Friday service was held in the sanctuary, explaining why we call it "good," and fighting back tears as I saw a friend who had just delivered (and buried) her dead baby sit in the back of the sanctuary.
I remember how very special the communion service was at those Good Friday services in my church in Japan.
I remember year upon year and decade upon decade of remembering the cross, my Savior's sacrifice, and His victory over sin and death.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!
No comments:
Post a Comment