What does spring mean to you? Since moving to the Midwest (and especially since becoming a mom and responsible for outfitting children), spring (& fall, too) mean townwides!
Yesterday I went garage-saling at the townwides in a nearby small town. 71 sales were listed on the map which I pre-printed at home (rather than picking up at the gas station there). I had highlighted the ones with descriptions of items I was on the lookout for, so I only went to fewer than a dozen. From having gone to these sales for a decade or so, I know which houses have boys a year or two older than BK (so I try to go there first), and also which ones are perpetual garage sales and not worth my time.
On my way, I stopped at the ATM, and after 2 hours I stopped at a local coffee shop for a rest stop & something hot to drink (the temp kept dropping into the mid-40s - BRR!). The weather no doubt kept many shoppers away, and Friday isn't as busy as Saturday, but that meant there were fewer cars parked along the roads creating an obstacle course as I made my way from sale to sale. :) I was home by 11 AM, and believe the Lord answered my prayer that I would find things we need and have self-control not to buy things we do not need.
BK is getting to the end of the garage sale sizes, I think, but I still found lots of clothing for him. Yay!! Modest pjs for pajama day at school, two winter coats (one brand new), some t-shirts, shorts, and sweat pants, a big-kid backpack for school, and even some baseball cleats!!
LM acquired a toy cash register, some purple glittery Keen water shoes for a few years down the road, and a swimsuit. (She needs no clothing; we are blessed with hand-me-downs in the next few sizes for her.)
As for myself, I came home with a scarf and an ice cream scoop. I limited my book purchases to 5 chapter books for read-alouds. I found a few 750-piece puzzles to give as gifts, and some educational supplies to avert summer slump. My fun purchase for the children was not the complete set of Barbies or LOL, but a bungee chair for $10.
For a dreary, rainy, cold day, and only going to about a dozen sales, I am very thankful for what I found in less than 3 hours.
Thank you, Lord, for townwides!

No comments:
Post a Comment