Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Milly Molly Mandy

I cannot count how many times I have read Jan Karon's Mitford series. I find it comforting, and an escape to a familiar village with familiar characters. For the most part, there's nothing scary (I skip the cave part and the Edith M part).

Before we left for St. Louis, I pulled a few books off the shelf. One was Milly Molly Mandy. When things were deteriorating in the van, I announced that I was going to read. After one chapter, both children were begging for more.

Their delight surprised me, but upon reflection, in a scary world full of unknowns, I imagine the everyday small happenings of a British village of years past is very comforting for them. I figured if anyone would know of similar children’s books, it would be a Mitford fan group, and so I asked for recommendations. I have pasted them below (I did not edit the list, so some are mentioned more than once). I learned of some new books/ series and was reminded of some I had forgotten. Also, we have tried some of these in the past and for whatever reason our children didn't find them interesting. But they might enjoy them at this age.

FYI, the person who commented, "Chronicles of Narnia of course," did not understand my question. :)

Feel free to add yours in the comments.

I posted:

"Looking for recommendations of children’s books that are as comforting to them as Mitford is for adults."

My kids love Molly Molly Mandy too. Some other books your kids might like:
Betsy-Tacy series
Anne of Green Gables
The Trumpet of the Swan
Charlotte’s Web
Little House on the Prairie series (obviously these get into the harsh realities of life at times)
Beatrix Potter books
Paddington Bear books
The boxcar children

I have not personally read these, but your younger child might enjoy the Culdesac Kids series or Three cousins detective club series. My younger daughter gets these from the church library and enjoys them.

We enjoy the picture books by Eloise Wilkin (little golden books), The Brambley Hedge books by Jill Barklem

We also love listening to Adventures in Odyssey and Focus on the Family Radio Theater.

There is a James Herriot Children’s Treasury that my grandchildren love. Very sweet and comforting. 

They also love the Mercy Watson series by Kate DiCamillo.
Laura Ingalls Wilder series.

Swallows and Amazons by Ransome, 

Enid Blyton’s books, 

Narnia series by Lewis, 

The Chronicles of Prydain by Alexander

If they like "old time " stories, the Moffat series is a good one . Pollyanna is a great book, too.

My grandkids all loved The Three Cousins Detective Club books-Christian for kids. Several series on different Bible themes but same kids in each. So good!

The Mandie Books are wonderful. 

My daughter enjoyed Anna Hibiscus books ( early chapter books). 

 Puppy Place series my oldest son enjoyed.


The Boxcar Children books (the first 17) are simple mysteries and my students love them. Very family friendly and although not explicitly Christian, Christian morality shines through.

Just remembered The 101 Dalmatians by Dodie Smith. One of our favorites!

And the audiobook read by Martin Jarvis is 👌🏼👌🏼👌🏼

The Five Little Peppers series

The Wind in the Willows

The Foxwood tales by Cynthia & Brian Patterson. 

The older child might be ready for the Redwall Series by Brian Jacques (Redwall Abbey is very comforting, but the animals do face dangers & go on quests. Also, after the first book, they are more difficult because the heavy accents written into the dialog. My son loved them). 

The Winnie the Pooh books. 

The Box Car Children for mysteries. 

The Berenstain Bears chapter books for the 7 year old.

Narnia and when they are a little older LOTR! 

Also, Little House on the Prairie, Anne of Green Gables, Wind in the Willows, Winnie the Pooh read by Peter Denis. 

And if they love horses, Winnie the Horse Gentler series is great! 

Oh, and Hank the Cowdog! So many amazing stories out there!

Absolutely Hank the Cowdog! Our whole family enjoys them!!

The Betsy-Tacy books by Maud Hart Lovelace capture the joys of family, friendship, and childhood imagination.

My grandchildren absolutely adored Enid Blyton’s Adventure series. I read the series aloud to them and they just gobbled them up. I was happy that they stood the test of time.



Read aloud books by “Grandpa“. These are on You Tube. He began doing it for his own grandchildren, but realized a lot more kids, and incidentally, this adult would enjoy these as well. He chooses great books for a variety children’s ages. One he read that I listened to, as I drove through Arkansas, was Where the Red Fern Grows. Another fabulous book boys may enjoy ( especially at ten), The Summer of The Monkeys. My son wished there was more to My Side of The Mountain, but I don’t think ,when I presented the sequel at that particular Christmas, that it contained nearly the same enjoyment. Another fantastic book he read was Farmer Boy.


Cronicles of Narnia, of course.

Swallows and Amazons

The Sugar Creek Gang series
Little House series
The Railway Children
Mandy by Julie Andrews.
Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery.


Read Mez Blume’s books. She is one of my former students . She has written 3 books which our granddaughter loved. No new books as she is busy raising her family. 

Kipper the Dog books are some of the most soft, comforting books for the younger children. When the house seems slightly noisy, and Samuel had enough of the stimulation of the day, even as an early teenager, he would troup downstairs, close the music studio door- and watch the Kipper Show. I stumbled on a Kipper the dog book in a thrift store- if the Lord tarries, and wills I should I have the delight of grandchildren, someday, I will read them Kipper! Such a great find!!

Animal stories by Sam Campbell.


Because of Winn Dixie. The Amazing Adventures of Edward Tulane. Both Kate DiCamillo.

Beverly Cleary has written many WONDERFUL books for children. The Ramona series, Henry Huggins series, Ribsy, The Mouse And The Motorcycle and many more.

Authors: Patricia St. John (only read the original editions, not the dumbed-down modern ones), Ingrid & Edgar D’Aulaire, Marguerite Henry, Lois Lenski. 

Titles: Charlotte’s Web, The Moffats,  The Borrowers, Heidi, Caddie Woodlawn, The Jungle Books, Lassie Come Home, Homer Price (Robert McCloskey), Wheel On The School, Thimble Summer…
These are just some suggestions from the book, Honey For A Child’s Heart by Gladys Hunt!

No comments: