Friday, October 4, 2024

Hope in Humanity

 Our help is in the name of the Lord,

    who made heaven and earth.


~ Psalm 124.8

 

The children and I listened to Kristyn Getty read this on our way to school this morning. (Her voice is very calming. Crossway has several Bible reading podcasts, FYI.)

The earlier verses of that psalm mention a flood and raging waters.  My mind (and Facebook scrolling) this past week have focused on the aftermath of the flood and raging waters in Western North Carolina, Northeast Tennessee, and Virginia. 

While our help and hope is in the name of the Lord, there have been many stories that "restore our hope in humanity." (I hesitate to use that phrase, because humanity is not our hope, but I think you know what I mean.) 

I love, LOVE, absolutely LOVE! the pack mules that are going into the mountains, taking supplies. 

"Heavy equipment will definitely get this cleared, but in the meantime mules can carry gear through here quickly!"

Perhaps one reason this pulls at my heartstrings so much is reflected in a Facebook comment from a childhood neighbor: " I remember as a little girl watching your Grandpa riding his mule all over y’all’s farm land."

I also am thrilled to see JAARS on the ground, or rather in the air!  One day's report: 

"We were able deliver 25K lbs of aid yesterday and medevac a woman in labor. The scope of the work is beyond belief. Our primary work continues to be the micro communities that cannot reach distro centers."

Another report from JAARS:

"We are operating out of 7A8 but it is a challenging mountain strip with no ILS and a fairly short strip with mountains on each end."

It is my understanding that JAARS trains missionary pilots (who will be flying Bible translators in and out of jungle strips around the world) in these exact mountains of NC, because of the similar topography & weather patterns!  "For such a time as this!"

There are so many more stories I could share, but praise God that He is using creative means! And keep praying for people without access to the outside world. I keep thinking of those who use C-PAP machines, who need insulin, who are on oxygen, who have lost their house, who are not getting a paycheck currently, who cannot go to school, who are facing cold weather, who depend on medication, and on and on and on it goes. 

May they truly know & experience that

 Our help is in the name of the Lord,

    who made heaven and earth.


~ Psalm 124.8



No comments: