Back in 2007, I had an experience that left me exclaiming, "I want to be a nice old lady!"
In God's good providence, I have known countless nice old ladies in my lifetime. This Sunday I ran into one whom I hadn't seen in six years. She is still nice!
This week, we were at the nursing home, visiting a few residents. It was a lovely October day, and our group of ten sat in a circle outside in the courtyard. LM and I went inside to walk down the hall to the water fountain, and as we were walking down the hall, I greeted a lady who was pushing her wheelchair down the hall, and then continued commenting to LM about the hedgehog artwork (by residents) on the wall.
I must have mentioned how pretty they were, and the resident spoke up from her wheelchair, "No, they're not pretty. Birds and flowers are pretty." And so we discussed artwork and nature, and Jim's cousin walked by and said, "Oh, do you know Mrs. T? She's so-and-so's sister."
And then it hit me!
When Jim's mom was in the nursing home, the children and I visited once a week. We would often leave after she was settled in at her lunch table. And we got to know the people who sat at her lunch table. Jim's dad usually came to eat lunch with his mom. And two ladies came to eat lunch with their husbands who sat at the same table. One delightful lady was Mrs. T.
After Jim's mom passed away, I missed seeing Mrs. T each week, and so I made a point to go to the nursing home one day at lunch time to see her and visit.
Once Mrs. T and I realized how we knew each other, we had a very pleasurable conversation catching up on the last six years.
I was so happy to end our conversation by calling out, "I'll see you again next time I'm here!"
No comments:
Post a Comment