Wednesday, May 21, 2025

The Lasts

There were lots of lasts with the house.

Going back to August 2022, that was the last time we saw Dad alive. :( 

Christmas 2022 was unknowingly the last Christmas (& visit) we spent with Mom in the house. 

And it was also the last visit when one of my parents was there to welcome us when we arrived and send us on our way when we left. 

Just before we left after Christmas, dear missionary friends had arranged to stop by for pizza lunch, and we four, Mom, their family of four and a bonus international student with them sat around the table.  Several months later, I realized, "That might have been the last meal of hospitality my mom hosted around that table." 

We visited in July or August 2023. Although Mom wasn't there (she was in rehab), it was our last visit before she moved to assisted living. 

New Year's 2024 was the last time we visited without working on emptying the house. 

June 2024, when I flew for a 6-day trip to start emptying the house, was the last time I saw the house before it started being emptied (especially of the hopefully valuable items that were sent that week to an auction company in a big city). 

Our July/August 2024 visit was the last time the children slept in the house, in "their" rooms, and the last time they played with their grandparents' toys & read the books my mom had curated for her grandchildren.

That Sunday noon ended up being the last "Sunday dinner" around the table, as we four, and a cousin, her husband, and adult son ate a home-cooked meal.  In my photo of that day, the crocks were still on top of the corner cupboard, the family photos were still on the wall, and the candles were still in the glass candlesticks on the buffet. 

My 6-day flying visit in October 2024 was full of many lasts.  My last time to sleep in the house.  The last time my cousin or I made meals in the house.  

And on the morning I was flying out, after my cousin had already left, I snapped this photo to remember the last sink of clean dishes.


The last time to pack up and leave the house ... (I had to take the only empty suitcase because I found so many treasures to take home. :) )

                                          


Our quick November 2024 visit was the last time for the children to play on the property, explore the attic, ride their scooters up and down the barn driveway, etc.  (We were already moving on to firsts ... it was our first time to stay in an AirBNB.)

Of course, these lasts are all real, and part of the loss & grief.  Hopefully, by noticing them, recording them, and reviewing them, my heart is ready for all the firsts and nexts.  In the missions world, there's a lot of talk about making sure you say good "good-byes" so that you are able to say good "hellos" in the next place. 

I already have a home, life, and family outside of my parents' house.  But it truly was bigger than life, and held so many memories.  

I rejoice that the people who lived here committed with Joshua:

But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.

and put their hope in the Savior who said: 

Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?
and that, along with Abraham, they were
looking forward to the city that has foundations, whose designer and builder is God.

May I do the same! 

No comments: