Friday, September 26, 2025

Grand Central Station

When Jim and I met the new owner of my family home in Tennessee, I mentioned that it's like Grand Central Station, and he said, "Yes! That's the exact word my wife uses!"

I joked that my parents lived at Grand Central Station. And even after my mom transitioned to assisted living, my sister had plenty of activity!

Even when I met a cousin there twice last year to empty the house, we had visitor after visitor! Some were because we had items for them to take, of course.  My mom's friend Karen stopped by each time to pick up items for a local college.  I had appointments with the auctioneer, an antique auction company, an archivist, and more.  I invited friends who were looking for property to come for lunch so we could talk in person.  My dad's second cousin from 2 hours away came with his wife one afternoon and helped go through archives.  Another second or third cousin from far away stopped by for a few hours on her road trip and helped.  Multiple other friends came ... to take medical supplies to a local ministry, to take the HUGE peace lily from the deck, etc.  And some people just stopped by because they saw vehicles and activity. :) 

Our family was there 3 1/2 days in November, and Jim commented that we interacted with more people then than we do in months here in our normal life.  Of course, there were the cousins and siblings and nephew who were helping, but there were also random people who stopped by.  

What about you? Do you live in Grand Central Station? 

No comments: