Tuesday, March 17, 2026

Parent-Teacher Conferences

My mom never missed a Parent-Teacher Conference. I remember once she went to PTC at our middle school, and parents stood in line outside the classroom door.  The man ahead of Mom was complaining about how long they were waiting, and informed her that the parent in the classroom at the moment was only there about one F! He said, "If I only had one F to discuss, I wouldn't come." Mom didn't let on that she had three students in the school at the moment, and nary an F among them. ;) 

I have never missed a PTC, either. (Like mother, like daughter.) 

BK's first three years of school were spent at a private special ed school, and we actually had monthly team meetings. The first year BK was in public school, PTCs were on Zoom (or Google Meets).  

Anyway, I find childcare, I sign up to feed the teachers their evening meal, and I go to PTC. 

Jim went with me once, and was ready to fire the teacher! He thinks the PTCs are useless, and to be honest, in terms of gathering helpful information, they aren't that helpful. But I go to show that we are concerned & involved parents, and to keep my thumb on the pulse of the school. 

(I can feel my blood pressure rising as I write this ... Sigh!)

Anyway, PTC are coming soon.  And, since it's SPRING PTC, they are student-led. 

Okay, hopefully you didn't spew your coffee.  You read that right, and I have always refused. But one year both BK & LM begged and begged me, because they had spent so much time at school preparing, and if I didn't take them, they couldn't show me what they had prepared.  I took them, and they hated it!! And I promised I would never take them again. :)  (I think they didn't like that I asked so many detailed questions.) 

And, thanks to the work done in class to prepare for the PTC, LM was able to read a book very fluidly ... before she could read. So it clearly was not an accurate portrayal of her abilities. 

So, this week, Lord willing, I will be attending (or cancelling due to health, as the case may be) two PTCs, showing up, asking questions, thanking the teachers, oh, and taking 5 bottles of salad dressing for their evening meal. :) [Cooking something in a crockpot is not in my schedule this time around.]

No comments: