I was thinking recently about Sunday School opening exercises. I think it's a thing of the past.
In my childhood church, during the first 10 minutes or so of Sunday school, before the children's classes were dismissed, all the children sat in the pews on the right side of the sanctuary. The adults sat on the left.
The single school teacher whom we all adored led the opening exercises. There were multiple components including offering, prayer, birthday recognition, etc., but the one most memorable to me was the singing.
She held up visual songs. Some were purchased from CEF, and she turned the pages of the oversized booklets. Others were ones which she had handwritten (in her perfect teacher writing) on poster board. Some were laminated at her school. She tried to add cut out pictures from Sunday School papers on each side, to add interest. It took real talent to flip the poster boards so that the right side was showing (especially if a song took the front & back of two poster boards, and she had to return to the chorus)!
Some of my favorite childhood memories involved these songs! Do you know any of them?
Stop and let me tell you
Why worry, when you can pray?
28.30
I sing the mighty power of God
Did you ever talk to God above
I'm so glad I'm a part of the family of God
God's power (The illustrated song which she held up had a photo of a wave on the front.)
"My God is bigger than I amStrongest of allHe is able to makeThe summer turn into fallHe controls all that happensHis power is plain to seeAnd I know I can trust HimFor with His powerHe cares for me.God speaks to me in the BibleShows me His loveHe tells how the Lord Jesuscame to earth from aboveHe tells how I can please Himand teaches me His ways.Yes, the Bible will guide meand give me strength for all my days."
Jesus is caring for you
(Verse 1) Don't be afraid Jesus is watching you. In the dark night He is protecting you. Talk to the Lord; Ask Him to make you brave; Jesus will hear when you pray.
(Chorus) Jesus is caring for you; Jesus is helping you too.
Jesus is always there keeping you, for He loves you. (Repeat chorus.)
(Verse 2) You're not alone, Jesus is there with you. He can't be seen, but He is there, it's true. He is your friend. He'll keep you in His care He goes with you everywhere.
(Chorus) Jesus is caring for you; Jesus is helping you too.
Jesus is always there keeping you, for He loves you. (Repeat chorus.)
O-b-e-d-i-e-n-c-e
Happiness is the Lord
34.30
2 comments:
We still do opening exercises for Sunday School and our church and it's one of our favorite things!
I know from experience how well-loved it is! Glad your kiddos get that experience. :)
Post a Comment