Wednesday, December 20, 2023

The day before Christmas vacation

School gets out at 2.30 Wednesday. 

Tuesday started with a flurry of activity.  I took LM to school, came home, turned the computer on, and logged in for BK's 8.00 AM virtual provider appointment (thank the Lord we didn't have to drive 70 miles the day before Christmas vacation!). 

The screen said, "If your provider doesn't join the video call by 8.15, call the office."

At 8.14, we had a changing of the guard, and Jim came to the computer to be the parent at the appointment, while I ran upstairs to log in for my 8.30 AM virtual appointment with my specialist in Chicago (thank the Lord I didn't have to drive 3 hours!). 

As I was running upstairs, I heard BK's provider's voice, as she joined the call. As I arrived upstairs, my phone rang, and it was my provider.  She had called early, which was fine.  I will be on (higher than normal dose of) prednisone for Christmas.  (Insert all the emojis.)  

After finishing my very brief (but good) call with her, I came downstairs in time to hear Jim and BK and his provider saying "good-bye."  So I took BK to school. Whew!!  (But, as Jim reminded me, that is a blessing of the pandemic, that telehealth is a solid option!)

I spent the morning (in between a few phone calls & emails that came up) making simple nativity ornaments to include in the teachers' gifts.  Crafty is not my middle name, so the fact that I could accomplish this is a bit remarkable.  The fact I had a morning without appointments (er, with just two early appointments) is even more remarkable. :)


Tuesday also was the day the Christian radio station began playing Christmas music 24/7.  I love it!  But it also made me realize that Christmas is a LOT sooner than I was thinking ... Ai-yai-yai.  Another year of not getting cards sent ... at least before the 25th. Sigh.

The children brought home the gifts they had made at school for their parents.  I was most impressed by this yarn hat ornament that BK made!


The afternoon flew by with a trip to Casey's to redeem a slushie that BK had earned, visiting the grandparents, and a trip to the pharmacy. 

Leftovers for supper, lots of rousing games of basketball in the living room, play-doh, a game of Sum Swamp, time on Math Shark for everyone (I actually don't recommend the game because both of our children have difficulty viewing the numbers on the screen), bedtime, and searching through the hand-me-downs in the basement (thank you, friends!) to come up with modest pajamas for LM to wear to school Wednesday for Pajama Day.

So teach us to number our days
    that we may get a heart of wisdom.

No comments: