Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Bowls

Before we were married, I did the cultural thing and registered for gifts.  In addition to registering for towels and plates and sheets, I went ahead and registered for a token crystal bowl and crystal vase, because I know there are some women who consider that a proper wedding gift, and would give it anyway.  So I figured I'd at least give them an idea of my tastes.

Fast forward to when I unpacked our wedding gifts, and we had four crystal bowls, which I dutifully placed on the top shelf of the china cabinet on display. 

While they are indeed pretty, I spent the past 18 months thinking, "What a shame to have one whole shelf of the china cabinet devoted to items that are impractical."

But then I was tasked with taking a 7-layer salad to family Christmas.  The photo in the cookbook showed it in a crystal bowl like one we have.  So, I did the same, and initiated one of the bowls.

Then we were at a family dinner when I noticed that our sister-in-law frequently serves a fruit salad in a crystal bowl. Aha!  I may not have original ideas, but I can copy things I see.  Next time I serve a fruit salad, I know what I can put it in.

A few days later, I was making a tossed salad for Jim and me.  I went straight to the china cabinet and retrieved a crystal bowl.  Who says we can only use special things with company?  Jim is special!

2 comments:

Maggie said...

My favorite line is the last one. Yes he is. And so are you. :) I miss pulling out my china to honor guests and special husbands.

-J said...

Maggie, now you'll end up with TWO sets of special dishes, table linens, and serving pieces ... one for each hemisphere. :)