As I searched my kitchen for a big enough container in which to store the leftovers, I said to Jim, "If I were my mom, I would call Mrs. D and say, 'Are you going to be home at lunchtime tomorrow? I'm coming for a visit, and bringing soup.'" To which Jim replied, "Are you going to do that?"
And so I called Mrs. D and arranged it. She asked, "What shall I bring?" I quickly answered, "Crackers," and we hung up.
I hung up ... with a nagging feeling that maybe she thought I had invited her here.
Just in case, after breakfast, I scurried around, cleaning the kitchen ... and the floors ... and the guest bathroom ... and dusting in the living room. A few hours before lunch, I called her to confirm.
She was so delighted with my invitation to come for lunch! Aha! Mystery solved. And so I set the table, including a place for Jim, who was prepared to come home and scavenge for leftovers in the fridge, but instead walked in on a luncheon party!
Well, Mrs. D arrived with an oblong basket filled and overflowing ... a couple bags of crackers, a beautiful bowl filled with cheese dip, a plate of homemade toffee, a gift bag from a Day Spa with a bottle of special shower gel. "Keep the bowl, and the basket," she said. And throughout her visit, she showered me with love and encouragement, and continually thanked me for the invitation and mentioned what a treat it was.
I set out to bless others, to serve an older person who has had her share of trials recently. Reminds me of a quote I read the other day:
It’s a story as old as ministry itself. You begin a ministry to someone, to a group of people, to a certain place and population—fully expecting that YOU are going to serve THEM.But SHE served ME. The blessing was mine!
1 comment:
Love it. What a great suggestion from your husband too!
Post a Comment