One problem with trying to keep up with these plans is the laborious nature of spending for.ev.er in the Pentateuch. In my heretofore favorite reading plan, one-fourth of the year is gone before you're out of the Pentateuch. Spending half a month in Numbers can wear on this reader.
With our Speed through the Bible plan, we finished the Pentateuch on day 13. It's sort of like swallowing your medicine without tasting it.
Which is precisely the negative of this plan; we're speeding through it. But there are some unforeseen positives as well. Reading at such a fast pace (fast as in pages per day, not necessarily pages per minute) helps me see the Big Picture much more clearly. (Post coming soon about the pros and cons.)
With this speed through the Bible plan, not only is my mind (and heart, hopefully) inundated with The Big Picture of God's redemptive plan throughout history, but, with each successive Old Testament story, memories flood my mind! (Post coming soon on the people behind those memories.)
What's your favorite Bible reading plan?
2 comments:
I started Bible in 90 Days the year I met and got engaged to Steve. We never actually finished as the pace of life ran away after getting engaged and starting wedding planning! However, I agree with you on pros and cons and seeing the big picture. It's a pretty full-on plan but good to do at least once, I think (says she who never actually quite finished!!). I found that things linked back to previous things because of the speed whereas I would have forgotten them by the time I got to the next reference of something if I was doing the yearly plan. So yes, a fly-over view...and a good complement to the forest-exploring view. :)
I have really fallen off the bandwagon with blogging and reading so it's probably a shock to see me here at all. :P Sorry! I am rather confused though as I saw the picture of the farm vehicles parked outside the house...I thought you lived on the farm but obviously not--or have I missed a move??? :S
Good to hear from you again! You put it well. I, too, see things that link back, which I wouldn't see if I were reading at a slower pace.
The picture confused many and almost started an outrage when I posted it on FB. Jim's brother & family live on the farm. We live in a nearby town ... on the very edge, so that if we look out our dining room window we see the view you saw, but if we look out our living room window, it's nothing but grain fields for miles and miles. We tend to look out the living room window. :)
Hope all's well!
Post a Comment