Sunday, January 1, 2012

A New Year

In our 2010 Christmas cards, I included an understated note in some that read, "2010 was a year of great change in our lives."  (For a humorous take on some of the changes, read "The Christmas Letter Never Sent.")

This year I wrote a Christmas letter for our friends in Japan (in Japanese). (I mentioned it here.)

In a few cards this Christmas, I wrote, "We plumbed new depths of God's faithfulness in 2011 and found Him faithful.  And we know we'll find Him faithful no matter how far we go to plumb His faithfulness in 2012."

We plumbed new depths because we faced new challenges, challenges we hadn't faced before or hadn't faced in that particular way.  I like to say that the challenges were not between us, but external ones we faced together.

(Although we all know, that we did face challenges between us, or else it would be a pretty boring marriage.  But, all in all, the challenges between us were not major, days-on-end, HARD ones; just the typical ones of sharing life together with another person, seeing more of one's own sin, and dying to self.)

And now we have entered 2012.  None of us knows what this year holds.  But we know that He will be faithful. 

How did you see Him faithful in 2011?  What verse(s) particularly strengthened your faith in 2011?  What verse(s) are you clinging to in 2012?  Did you read a Christian biography or learn a new hymn in 2011 that was faith-strengthening?  We always need help in this journey of faith.  I'd love to hear what has helped you!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

The link for the "Christmas Letter never sent" seems broken.