Thursday, August 28, 2025

Office Hours

I often refer to my office hours.  At one point it was popular to include a built-in desk in the kitchen in house plans.  My desk is literally on the go. 

I always have phone calls to make, bills to pay, etc. 

This summer I had office hours poolside during swim practice more often than not.  While LM was attending gymnastics camp, I had office hours in my van in a shady park.  Last Saturday I had office hours by the local pool, studying up on IEP law with a highlighter in hand. 

Earlier this week I had office hours on an Amtrak train (with the same IEP book & highlighter).  On Tuesday I had office hours at the Honda dealership.  Since I had phone calls to make, I was actually on a bench outside the Honda dealership.  

During Tuesday's office hours, I

  • called the lab & the specialty pharmacy, requesting that they resubmit claims because the date of service was after the effective date of our new insurance coverage, 
  • called the middle school secretary, requesting she get a bus pass to BK and instruct him on how to get to the high school bus pick-up lane, 
  • and never got around to calling the Director of Nursing at my mom's assisted living, to follow up on a phone call from last week.
As you know, that's the thing with office hours. They're rarely "once and done." One call leads to multiple future steps.

Where do you office? 

(Grammar geek note: I remember seeing a Kinko's slogan in the early '90s: "For wherever you office." That was the first time I saw "office" used as a verb, though I'm not sure Webster would agree!)

No comments: