Sunday, August 3, 2025

Plea from a persecuted pastor

I wasn't even there for the sermon (30+ years ago), but it's one that stands out in my memory.


A pastor from the underground church in China was the special speaker that Sunday in College Town, USA.  After lunch, my roommate and I routinely told of what our sermons had been about that day.  And so I heard this man's impassioned plea to the American Church, thanks to my roommate.

Before communism, the believers saw the writing on the wall and knew things would be changing.  They did three things to prepare, and he urged American believers to do the same.

They memorized Scripture, they prayed together whenever they could, and they made sure their bodies were in shape.

This pastor had endured multiple terms in a prison camp, with all the accompanying physical hardships and hard labor.  Yet, his body was strong enough to survive.

A word to the wise, perhaps?

No comments: