#8 - The Church’s One Foundation
The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear this hymn's title is "191," for that is the number in the Japanese hymnal, and Japanese hymns are known by their numbers, for there are no titles listed.
The number 191 is etched in my mind because this hymn is a favorite of our church here, as we frequently recall the schisms that almost rent it asunder, and then comfort ourselves with the truth that Christ loves His Church more than any of us do.
...from heav'n he came and sought her to be his holy bride;He has promised, "I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it," and so we sing confidently:
with his own blood he bought her, and for her life he died.
...the great church victorious shall be the church at rest.
To listen to the Hymns of the Faith podcast about this hymn, go here.
Original post.
#10 - When I Survey
#9 - Thy Way, Not Mine, O Lord
No comments:
Post a Comment