Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Unfinished story

The busy day of activities had drawn to an end. Conference participants had gone off to their cabins and, unlike the first night, when many people stayed up late chatting, the campground was quiet and few lights were on.

I was drifting off to sleep myself, when I heard my cell phone, set on "manner mode," vibrating in the dark. I groggily walked across the room, glanced at the number which I did not recognize, and answered, "Moshi, moshi."

A lady's voice said, "Oh, J! I'm here. I just climbed the hill, and I'm right outside your cabin." On automatic pilot, I answered, "I'll be right out," and I quickly dressed, pulled on my winter coat and went outside.

She lives in the town where the conference was held and heard that I was there. Although I first met her probably 8 years ago, I mainly knew her through other missionaries. Her husband believed in Christ and was baptized, but she told me one Sunday after worship that she had been "immunized" to Christianity through some experiences in her life.

After retiring they moved away (to the town where the retreat was held). A few years ago, when vacationing there, I ran into her husband at church, and when he went home and told her, she immediately invited me over. We spent several enjoyable hours, visiting in their dream home and eating a delicious meal.

That night at 9.35 when I rushed outside to the dark clearing to meet her, she immediately greeted me with a warm hug (a rarity in this culture) and then we set off "knocking and entering" the other cabins so she could greet the other ladies she knew who were attending the retreat.

Can a person really be immunized to Christianity?

In a culture, where few men believe in Christ, how much more powerful would it be if this believing man's wife also were a believer?

If it is this enjoyable to spend time with her now, how much more precious could our fellowship be if she were a sister in Christ?

No comments: