Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Election Day

A week ago today was election day (state primary and county general election) in Sullivan County. (The surprised look on the face of another American who saw the official envelope arrive at our team's office informed me that not all states have August elections.)

The August election is the one I remember most, perhaps because school was out so I noticed community life more or perhaps because my parents still have memo pads which proclaim, "Vote J.D. Wilson Road Commissioner," leftover from a particular August election that I remember from almost 30 years ago.

Here in a small village on the main northern island of Japan, with my absentee ballot long ago having arrived in the Blountville office (one hopes), the election was far from my mind.

While I fulfill the responsibilities of citizenship as best I can from afar and enjoy the privileges of such, my true citizenship is in heaven, and that comes with unspeakably better privileges!

No comments: