Saturday, August 9, 2008

Where am I?

Every beginning language learner in Japan is taught the phrase, "Koko ha doko desuka?" "Where am I?" in order to request that a friendly bystander point to a spot on the map held in one's hands.

Most roads have no names, thus no street signs. And addresses are based on a grid. Imagine a piece of graph paper that represents a city. The city is divided into wards. Each ward is divided into neighborhoods. Each neighborhood is divided into sections. And each section is divided into squares. Then all the houses in a square are numbered around the block. (Sort of.) Thus you get addresses like 5-16-27 Central Oyumino (except the addresses are written "backward" compared to an American's way of thinking).

Because the house across the street is on a different block, its address could be totally different from mine.

When the northern island of Hokkaido was settled, the main cities were laid out on a grid system and the addresses have more rhyme and reason to them, I'm told.

Look! Street signs!
But I'm so used to the grid system, that I can't figure this one out. If I lived here, I'd try to figure it out.

No comments: