I grew up going to funerals, and many of them were good (according to the critiquing that followed on the way home). I absorbed many truths about heaven, eternal life, living hope, the resurrection, etc., and I have many happy memories.
But only in recent years have I realized the evangelistic power of funerals. When Mrs. Y's father died two years ago, the pastor walked the family through the steps of "how to have a Christian funeral," including suggesting they give a New Testament to everyone who attended (the bereaved family always gives a gift) and advising them to have a verse engraved on the tombstone (John 11.25), a verse that continues to speak to the old men of the village as they take walks through the cemetery.
Afterward, the pastor continued visiting the home to read the Bible with Mrs. Y's mother (who had observed and sometimes sat in on his monthly visits by her husband's bedside). Two weeks from today Mrs. Y's mother is scheduled to be baptized!
Today I heard the story of one of the men in the church here who has a vibrant faith and hunger to grow. When I asked what the impetus of his faith was, he replied, "My father's funeral." The funeral made Christianity very attractive to him. He has now received so much from the Lord that he wants to give back whatever He can, and so is taking seminary courses by correspondence.
No comments:
Post a Comment