Friday, August 1, 2008

Pa and Ma

Little House on the Prairie is well-loved in Japan, and until a few years ago was aired regularly on national television. (As further evidence that "all foreigners look alike," I have been told on more than one occasion that I look like Laura - a comment that usually comes just after the person learns I grew up on a farm.)

Recently a Japanese person told me of some survey results she heard on the news. (I'm trying to track down the exact data and source.) According to her, only around 30% of Japanese children respect their fathers, while around 70% respect their mothers.

She immediately connected it to Pa Wilder, and said that more Japanese fathers need to be like him. The image of Pa reaching to take his shotgun down from over the door in order to step between his family and danger really impressed her. "Japanese men need to protect their families! And to think that that same man would then sit down surrounded by his family and play the violin. That is the type of man Japan needs!" she proclaimed.

Taking advantage of the popularity of The Little House series, Family Forum Japan has translated into Japanese and published Janette Oke's Love Comes Softly, Love's Enduring Promise and Love's Long Journey. Reading about such a man in books is not enough to change a heart, much less a nation, but it can be a good tool along the way.

No comments: