It was a hot week in mid-August seven or eight years ago. The churches in the East Tokyo Presbytery had gathered for the annual summer conference at a college campus. Most of my memories of that conference involve all the drinks I purchased from vending machines in an attempt to quench my thirst. But the Holy Spirit was quenching a different type of thirst.
As I rode home in a car with a few other ladies, one lady, the only Christian in her family, remarked, "This was the first time in my life I spent an entire day with Christians. When I woke up, we went to morning prayer. At mealtime, we prayed together. During the day, we heard messages. Even my free time was full of fellowship. Wow!"
Today a young lady from one of my Bible studies came up to me after worship and said almost the exact same thing. She attended summer conference two weeks ago. The messages didn't leave much of an impression on her, but the taste of fellowship has emboldened her as she lives out her faith as the solitary Christian in her home and the solitary Christian in her workplace.
I cannot fathom such a lack of fellowship. Or that it could describe one's normal life.
No comments:
Post a Comment