Friday, August 1, 2008

Introducing David

"A man after God's own heart" is not a tangible description like "poet," "warrior," "shepherd," or "king."

How to communicate this intangible idea in easy English to people for whom English is their second language and in whose culture this phrase is not embedded as it is in my own, is my question of the day, as I prepare a series of lessons on the life of David, D. V.

Various translations I have found:
  • the kind of man I love
  • a man after mine heart
  • a man dear to my heart
  • a man after My heart
  • a man according to My heart
  • a man after Mine own heart
  • the kind of man I want
  • the kind of person who pleases me most
  • a man whose heart beats to my heart
  • He thinks like I think.
From a phrase dictionary:
  • a kindred spirit - someone I can agree with.
In Japanese:
  • a man who serves / answers / satisfies / suits my heart.

No comments: