I cannot deny that the command of Jesus is to be like the good Samaritan. But was the command given in a vacuum? Is the moral of the story merely, "Be like the good Samaritan"?
Until I know that I was the one left half dead and Jesus became my neighbor, even though I was His enemy, I cannot have the motivation or power that are assumed in the command, "Go and do likewise."
Until I know that Jesus befriended me, cleaned my wounds, paid for my recovery and care, and promised to provide all I need for my healing, I cannot have the compassion and sacrificial love that are implied in the command, "Go and do likewise."
Only after having experienced His care, only after having been loved by the One I treated as my enemy, only after having received lavishly more than I deserve, will I be able to "go and do likewise."
No comments:
Post a Comment